A bit of a contrast between these two pictures and specifications:
The contemporary build is a “production machine” build Winston KC9FVR is building to help his work-from-home experience.
- A very nice case (“Be Quiet” is noted for cooling management without fan noise.
- A 12-core/24-thread 3.7 gHz (4.8 gHz boosted) processor.
- Dedicated coolers.
- MSI Meg X570 Motherboard.
- A couple 1TB SSD drives.
- 32 GB of fast RAM (for a start)
- Big nice graphics card.
- and so on…
Quite a contrast to the improvised machine he and his brothers Thomas KC9JGD and Victor KC9NWB assembled secretly roughly 15 years earlier.
- VIA C-3 single core at 900 Mhz
- A salvaged no-name motherboard
- A 3 GB Mechanical Hard Drive
- 256 MB of Ram
- A VGA to NTSC Video Adapter
- A Root Beer Soda Box for a “case”
- and not much more….
The back story on the cardboard box computer was that I said no more computers in the house, as homework was suffering. At least that was the official line I put out.