There seems to be a maelstrom out there, and I for one am at the moment prone to sit tight.
After hearing that the Contest University (CTU) folks at Hamvention 2022 had significant numbers came down with COVID I was a bit skeptical how large group meetings were going to turn out.
Now that I am hearing reports that the Central State VHF Conference also became a spreader-event, along with reports from industry trade association attendees of similar spreader events outside of the ham world, I am doubly cautious.
When my XYL came down traveling to help her elderly parents move to assisted living, spending quarantine time in a dorm room sized suite on her own in Europe, my caution went up another notch. She reports isolating was more than worrisome, expensive and inconvenient, it was emotionally difficult.
When I came down with a second bout of the virus, with no traceable point of exposure unless you are willing to presume that some vaccinated people can be symptomless carriers, it further became time to rethink things.
The virus is not gone, and if you catch it you lose a couple weeks and maybe much more if your are unlucky.
The protective injections fail to actually protect us, and the mutating virus walks around acquired immunity.
So there is a new calculus in my life – will potential increased exposure of an activity be worth the risk of a couple weeks of sick and down time?
An awful lot of events are coming up short in the evaluation, as the benefits of participation are overwhelmed by the risk of more virus exposure.
I should mention that I really want to avoid becoming a typhoid-Mary, in that we assist those who are elderly and I exercise a two different places that some of the others exercising there have a greater virus risk.
I have canceled plans to travel to Dallas and St Louis for two separate business conferences that fall into the “nice to go, but not critical” category.
Decided to not plan on attending the W9DXCC, especially as one can bet that Illinois will return to requiring masks – adding insult to the exposure risk.
My scheduled Canadian hunting trip has been canceled, less so over the exposure risk once I am there, but more about the very slow recovery so far from my second virus sickness. I am certain I will not be fit enough by final go/no-go decision time to consider the hunt.
Now what AM I going to do instead?
Station time will figure into replacement activities, of course.
I had my little fishing boat updated with a new outboard motor, and there are plenty of fishing challenges to do!
With that same little boat, I think I will try my hand at doing some US Island activations with the KX-3 setup I bought from a cousin.
Both home and island QTH have antenna projects to be finished up.
I may do some actual travel, but for something much higher in value than conferences or ham events – as we may go to visit relatives/friends. Some of the visits we can drive, but one to England does have a lot more travel exposure to seriously reflect upon.
And otherwise I can shuttle between home QTH and island QTH, with minimal exposure.