The Tennadyne T-8 used two stainless u-bolts for attachment. In the highest of winds the large double booms of the Log Periodic antenna caught enough wind to slightly rotate on the mast.
To counteract this I decided to upgrade the T-8-to-Mast and Mast-to-Rotor connections with Tennadyne’s improved attachment method, the Tennadyne SlippNott. (The much smaller T-28 Log Periodic doesn’t have enough surface area to need this upgrade. U-bolts work perfectly fine for the smaller antenna.)
Another view of the original attachment. It had taken six years to pivot perhaps 10 degrees, though no matter how you look at it, it was moving even if very slowly.
The SlippNott retrofit upgrade uses two machined clamps with roughly one hundred time the surface contact area of the two u-bolts.
Another look at the retrofit in place.
I did the install from scaffold after lowering nd tipping over the whole tower.
Also installed was a second SlippNott providing additional grip of the mast at the antenna rotator rotor unit.
This one was a fiddle to install given the restriction of the three nested tower sections.
Again it provides a huge increase in clamping action and limits the risk of the newly enhanced situation at the antenna twisting the whole mast in the rotor clamp.
A worthwhile project – wish the SlippNott was available when I put the tower and antennas up.
You can read more about them at the Tennadyne website – http://www.tennadyne.com
Direct link to the SlippNott page is http://www.tennadyne.com/slipp_nott.htm