It is less than two weeks to the Dayton/Xenia Hamvention 2022 event.
So far I have spoken to only a couple of hams that are planning to attend this 2022 event, from the group who I’ve either done part of past Hamventions with or would get together with them at Hamvention.
The numbers from my area going to Dayton/Xenia seem significantly down – maybe 25% of the usual group is going. Haven’t heard of any of the younger area hams going at all.
Here are some of the reasons I have heard:
- CCP-19 Virus (aka Covid-19) remains a biggie.
- Costs of fuel and everything else.
- Low Awareness of Anything New
- Uncertainty – here less than two weeks prior the isn’t a definitive health statement making one uncertain if even the organizers harbor concerns with gathering up so many hams
- The combined Greene County/Ohio State Sales tax burden (said to be 8.75%?!)
- Same deals being offered on the internet as are available if you attend.
- So many items being out of stock, so if you want to buy you are placing an order rather than walking out with the cutting edge XYZ-123 unit then and there
- Many of the Dayton era attendees are simply “old” and not travel-able
- Lower numbers of DXpeditions and missed years means less war stories to be be told at Hamvention
- Hams having missed previous events are struggling to reclaim their “Dayton Time Window” from among other family plans and pressures that took over.
- Reduced event Promotion – many hams said they didn’t get the mailings and emails that strategically used to appear to puff up the event and banquets.
- Alternatives (Hamcation being somewhere warm in Winter was mentioned by snow country hams)
- Less exhibitors (see https://www.make-it.ca/hamvention2022-indoor/)
I am not going, but really not for any one single reason.
Rather in my personal take the ROI (Return on Investment) for attending Hamvention is all about people – the other hams I know and can meet there. Since so many are giving Hamvention 2022 a miss as I’m not eager to drive and attend alone.