I’d started putting together a V-shaped array of RBOG Antennas (Reversible Beverage on Ground) originally intended to be installed at my Washington Island home. Everything major gathered but the actual install delayed with personal distractions which included moving our main home late in 2018. Currently evaluating whether to deploy the RBOG array at the Island or at home.
A discussion at the FlexRadio Community forum seemed like a good excuse to consolidate the RBOG material acquisition information I had in emails and put together a reference, especially as based of achieved performance I might want to duplicate the setup at the other QTH.
RBOG Purchase Information with Links
From DX Engineering:
- HIZ-RSW421 Remote Receive Antenna Switch, Relay Unit, 4 Inputs, 1 Output, 75 ohms, Requires Control Console, Each (Mfr. #: RSW421)
- HIZ-CTRL421 Desktop Control Console for Remote Switches, 4 Position, 13.8 Vdc, Each (Mfr. #: CTRL421)
- SVP-SV-PP-SF-160 KD9SV, 160 Meter Preamplifier, Push-Pull Source Follower, Ultra-Low Noise, Each (Mfr. #: SV-PP-SF-160)
Gary KD9SV’s notes when I put together the order: [T]there is an already existing solution for your problem. DXE sells a 4 input one output antenna switch system that terminates the unused coax’s with 75 ohms. It is the HiZ RSW421 and CTRL421 which would be perfect for your use for switching 4 directions with a pair of KD9SV RBOG antennas. Only a single preamp would be required. It would also need much less coax if the relay box is installed near the antennas. Let me know if I be of further assistance to you. 73, de gary, kd9sv
I should have mentioned that the HiZ relay box needs protected from the weather as it is not waterproof…gary
From K1FZ Clarke Engineering
Beverage antennas – transformers
- Two sets of KB-2 in 75 ohms units
From other sources:
- MILITARY CABLE RADIO WIRE TELEPHONE COMMUNICATIONS SPOOL .5KM WD1A UNICOR DR-8-B
- 350’FT CAT6’e OUTDOOR UNDERGROUND BURIAL CABLE WIRE WATERPROOF UV THICK 23-AWG
- 50pc-6L PCT TRS-6L Coax Coaxial Cable Sat RG6 fittings 50 pcs COMPRESSION RG6 CONNECTORS
Looking over the gear I’m thinking if the performance is successful that the units could be reworked to become computer controlled, and have a 4o3a Station Genius for these sorts of experiments/mods. http://www.4o3a.com/products/station-automation/station-genius/
Automation is down the road as the setup has to be deployed, and have proved itself before I’m going to dig into making it computer controlled.