it is true that Mother Nature is not to be trifled with, and that Murphy will visit putting a wrench into the works just when things are running smooth.
Often delays in a single key component can put a whole project off track. Specially disruptive is if the missing/delayed key component is something unique not easily replaced.
For my Indian Point northern QTH on Washington Island the driving element delaying the project is an extended wait for a new tower base. The SkyNeedle TM-370 needs a special base that act as a hinge for fold-over/erecting and is a critical part of the overall wind design.
A tribute to their popularity, Tashjian Towers has been swamped with orders and the base along with a work platform and new coax arms is still in fabrication. And up on the Island this is the last week for concrete deliveries. With a month cure before use, the towers even now would be first up in December.
So we are rescheduled for spring 2016 to put the base in the ground and put the tower up.
The SP7IDX Hexbeam is also behind schedule, but it could have followed a month later than the base and the schedule would have been fine, as the concrete cure time would have covered the delay.
With the delays, the eventual onset winter weather and the reduced ferry schedules limiting my actual on-island time I’ve put all antenna work on hold until spring. If I can schedule time I may move a vertical HF antenna stored in the woods behind my house at home to the island so I have a ready-to-use island antenna rather than setting up the SteppIR CrankIR each visit.
Best laid plans…