Returning to the initial question “What will the Flex-6000 series actually bring?”
Here are my predictions:
- Amateur Radio’s leading Edge will move hugely forward.
- This technology will be a huge hit with those able to afford the leading edge.
- Limited ability downscale versions of some parts of the technology will follow.
- Group/Remote Stations will allow more people to get on the air.
- Special rules or Special Classes will be needed when these radios appear in contest and qth collection program (IOTA/SOTA/DXCC) use.
- Someone will exploit these units, forcing some security demands on owners.
- While limited advances in small run offerings by other teams may come close, or perhaps equal/exceed the Flex-6000 Series, it will be a long wait until there is a contender.
- They will be a LOT of fun!
- Every ham who is computer/technology savvy will want one.
Let’s see if I am close to right as these radios role out in a few months.
Netx update in this series will be after the W9DXCC where I hope to spend some time speaking with the Flex-Radio folk.
First post of this series Flex-6700 Fantasies – “Dreaming What Might Be!” Series
Planning in a few weeks to have another first hand look at the Flex-Radio Flex-6000 series radios at the W9DXCC Convention in Illinois.
……one can imagine, dream and scheme can’t one?
Reading the Flex-Radio literature, Insider newsletters and reflectors there is one massive amount of promise to this new radio an architecture!
I’d like to touch on a few items that have caught my eye, and what I imagine they might offer for the future of amateur radio.
Be absolutely certain I am speculating, I have no extra insight or sources (nor would I betray information given to me in confidence) and I am doing analysis based on what it out there. I’m going to have fun speculating what might be.
Putting some guesses and construction to the pieces of information over the next few weeks, we’ll see if I guess right on anything announced at the W9DXCC or later when radios ship.
I’ll try to get a thought out every few days in the lead-up to the W9DXCC Convention and then an assessment in the week or so directly after the event.
I’ll link them to this “Flex-6700 Fantasies – “Dreaming What Might Be!” Series” starter and again in the wrap up.