Flex-6700 Fantasies – “Dreaming What Might Be!” Series – Ethernet Impact 31 - August - 2012Posted by k9zw in Amateur Radio, Flex-6000, K9ZW, K9ZW Just Rambled.
Tags: Flex-6000, Flex-Radio, K5GJ, K9ZW, K9ZW Just Rambled, PowerSDR, SmartSDR, W9DXCC
What will the use of Ethernet between the Flex-6000 hardware and the Thin Client mean to the new Flex-6000 series?
This is also huge – no longer will the PC need to be physically next to the Flex-Radio.
Almost certainly there will be some issues with network latency, but the physical configuration possibilities are massive!
Again this picking low hanging fruit, but I am predicting that the operator of the radio will be back back in the “family part of the house:”
- As only an Ethernet connection is needed, the Flex-6000 Operator will be positioning themselves in the Study, Den, Living Room or other “family part of the house” rather than tucked away in a “ham shack” space. Where you operate from will not need 240v for that amp, grounding, and coax feedline routes.
- The same connectivity, with a bit of IT department help to configure things, the Flex-6000 Series will be the new darling of the desk bound worker looking to make a few QSOs during lunch/breaks. Wondering if you will hear the various Flex-6000 operators all come on at the start of whatever local lunch hour they live in, signing off at the end of that hour?
- High Speed Wireless will allow the Flex-6000 Operator to Operate while traveling. No longer will it be rare to have a mobile operator running their home station.
- Those Antenna Restricted will locate their Flex-6000 Station at friends or “hosting sites” putting every QTH on an equal footing.
- Remote operations to difficult/rare/dangerous Flex-6000 transmitter sites will offer unique challenges to many programs like DXCC, IOTA, SOTA and Others. If the Flex-6000 is on site at DX Country, is that what matters even if the operator is back home in his armchair in New Jersey?
- Running QSOs while physically active, jogging, biking, hiking, would be a whole lot easier to do. Again using high speed wireless.
- Mercy/Compassion Flex-6000 Operations could allow the handicapped/bedridden to operate. Whether dedicated or by donation of otherwise “down time periods” from otherwise active stations, those in need could be comforted by being put on the air.
Again I’ll leave the possibilities of through Ethernet one operator controlling more than one Flex-6000 for a later thought.
First post of this series Flex-6700 Fantasies – “Dreaming What Might Be!” Series
Planning in a few weeks to have another first hand look at the Flex-Radio Flex-6000 series radios at the W9DXCC Convention in Illinois.
……one can imagine, dream and scheme can’t one?
Reading the Flex-Radio literature, Insider newsletters and reflectors there is one massive amount of promise to this new radio an architecture!
I’d like to touch on a few items that have caught my eye, and what I imagine they might offer for the future of amateur radio.
Be absolutely certain I am speculating, I have no extra insight or sources (nor would I betray information given to me in confidence) and I am doing analysis based on what it out there. I’m going to have fun speculating what might be.
Putting some guesses and construction to the pieces of information over the next few weeks, we’ll see if I guess right on anything announced at the W9DXCC or later when radios ship.
I’ll try to get a thought out every few days in the lead-up to the W9DXCC Convention and then an assessment in the week or so directly after the event.
I’ll link them to this “Flex-6700 Fantasies – “Dreaming What Might Be!” Series” starter and again in the wrap up.